Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween memories on Maui

Been in this house in Hale Piilani on the north side of Kihei, Maui for 24 years.  The first year, the community BUSSED their kids in since we were only level subdivision with 297 homes, guaranteed to be a safe and successful trick or treat outing!   There were so so so many kids it was like moving through an ant pile.   Definitely dangerous to drive!  I ran out of candy in the first hour!  Two years later we had our first child, born October 1, so he was exactly 1 month old on Halloween night.   My husband worked at the hotel nights, so I was the one climbing up and down the stairs with a 10 pound child.   Later, when my kids were older, it became a race between "us and them", specifically trying to get my dressed up kids out the door before the rest of the neighborhood descended on our house as early as 5pm. Since my husband was always working (it seemed, except every 5th year or so) it was like being a single mom, so I'd go with the other moms and our strollers and wagons.  When they got older, we could sit at the end of each other's driveways (with our cocktails!) and they could band together and safely roam the neighborhood.  Now, most of our children are grown, and although there are new families and even 2nd generations, it's not as crazy as it was all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment