Friday, October 8, 2010

Kitchen Disaster #2

Since the turkey incident, my esteemed Mother-in-Law didn't have much faith in my cooking abilities.  Then, when she next visited her loving son and his worthless-in-the-kitchen wife, she wanted to make her famous lentil soup.   A little background: I had moved into this 2 room house occupied by my then future husband, and inherited the lousy gas oven, and whatever else was in the kitchen, including a jar of dried lentils.   So, I tell Mother-in-law that we don't need to buy any, we already have some, let's just get the necessary vegetables that you need.  She soaks the lentils overnight, she starts the soup the next day AND THEY NEVER GET SOFT!   Evidently the lentils were so old they were useless.  Weathering her disdainful looks, I toss off that scientists had recently uncovered lentils in Egyptian sarcophagi and they cooked up just fine!  Unfortunately that remark did not win me any favor with her at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment